Frequently Asked Questions
Why are your products fragrance, scent and masking agent free? According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), 'Fragrances cause more allergic contact dermatitis than any other ingredient.' Skin is a vast portal for allergens, and the irritations allergies bring can weaken skin even more. Studies suggest there is a trend of increasing sensitization to fragrances worldwide. Using fragrance free and allergy-tested products reduce your risk of skin irritation (allergy-tested does not equate to hypoallergenic). The addition of fragrance to a product, whether to enhance the appeal of the product, or to mask an unappealing odor, creates an avoidable risk of irritant or allergic reaction to fragrance-sensitive persons. (Source: AAD). Understand hair care products almost universally contain fragrance. In the US, 96% of shampoos, 98% of conditioners and 97% of hair styling products contain fragrance. Almost 20% of the general population is sensitized to at least one allergen and studies find fragrance is one of the most frequently identified substances causing allergic reactions. Fragrance allergy affects 2-11% of the general population. (Source: http://www.womensvoices.org/fragrance-ingredients/secret-scents/).
- What are masking agents? Masking agents are chemicals (including fragrances) used to alter or neutralize an unappealing odor. Examples include (but are not limited to) citronellol, limonene and linalool.
- What types of preservatives do you use in your products? Preservatives are ingredients that prevent or retard bacteria, yeast, mold, and fungus growth which protect products from spoilage. The common preservative types are parabens, formaldehyde-releasers, isothiazolinones, phenoxyethanol, and organic acids. (Source: CosmeticTestLabs.com). CurlyCoilyTresses uses gluconolactone (and) sodium benzoate as a preservative. Gluconolactone (and) sodium benzoate is accepted by ECOCERT as a preservative in certified organic cosmetics, offers broad spectrum preservation without parabens, formaldehyde, isothiazolinones, or phenoxyethanol and is food-grade (derived from nonGMO corn via a fermentation process).
- What is the importance of product labeling? Labeling of cosmetics is subject to provisions of the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act and the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act. The Act requires that ingredients in cosmetics be listed in descending order by quantity. Fragrances, unless voluntarily disclosed by the manufacturer, must only be listed as 'fragrance'. There is no requirement that the specific content of a fragrance be disclosed.
- What is behentrimonium methosulfate and cetearyl alcohol (BTMS)? BTMS is a self-emulsifying wax that allows water and oil to stay mixed and is an exceptionally mild conditioning agent. Methosulfate is not related to the drying sulfates like sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). Cetearyl alcohol is not related to the low-molecular weight drying alcohols like ethanol alcohol, ethyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, methanol, isopropyl alcohol, SD alcohol and benzyl alcohol.
- What is hydrolyzed oat protein? Hydrolyzed oat protein is a liquidized or soluble form of whole oats. Hydrolyzed oat protein has been broken down into its component amino acids to enable penetration into the hair shaft and to adhere to damaged cuticle layers providing strength and moisture. Generally, whole proteins are too large to penetrate the hair shaft.
- What are silk amino acids? Silk amino acids are produced by breaking apart silk proteins into smaller peptide chains. Silk amino acids have a lower molecular weight than silk protein powders and are more moisturizing to skin and hair. Silk amino acids are also known as sericin.
- What is hair density? Density is the measure of the number of hair strands within a 1
square inch section of your scalp.
- What is hair width? Width is the measure of the thickness of your individual hair strands.
- What is your shipping policy? Purchases are shipped within 2-3 business days after orders are placed. Purchases are shipped via the lowest cost carrier (either USPS, UPS, FedEx or DHL) at the discretion of CurlyCoilyTresses and will arrive within 3-5
business days. If applicable, shipping fees are either flat-rate or weight-based.
What is your return policy? Satisfaction is guaranteed! Please contact CurlyCoilyTresses for assistance.
- Are your products cruelty-free and vegan? Yes.
- Are your products certified gluten free? No.
- Should you add water to 'stretch' a product? No. Adding water will shorten the product life and encourage product spoilage.
- Is Babassu Coconut Oat Moisturizing Leave In the same as Defining & Replenishing Moisturizing Hair Leave and Enrich Moisturizer? Yes! It's the exact same amazing formula.
- Is Babassu Coconut Oat Moisturizing Hair Treatment the same as Defining & Replenishing Moisturizing Hair Treatment and Nourish Treatment? Yes! It's the exact same amazing formula.
- What is the cite for the Yale University study on the psychology of bad hair days? The URL is: http://journaltimes.com/news/national/yale-study-ponders-psychology-of-all-those-bad-hair-days/article_05b4688f-b302-580b-b4ed-f3b0aef6a1d9.html.